- 8 oz. broad rice stick noodles
- 2 t. oil
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 T. Thai or Vietnamese fish sauce
- 3 T. sugar
- 3 T. fresh lime juice
- 2 T. ketchup
- 1 T. Thai red chili paste
- 8 oz. large shrimp, peeled, deveined and sliced lengthwise or 10 oz. extra firm tofu, cubed
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 lime, cut into 8 wedges
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 4 T. roasted and salted peanuts, chopped
- 4 T. chopped green onions
Soak noodles in warm water for 20 minutes. Heat 1 T. oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add eggs. Cook slowly until the eggs form a pancake. Cool and cut into thin strips.
Put garlic, fish sauce, sugar, lime juice, ketchup and chili paste in a blender. Pulse until smooth.
Heat wok or skillet over high heat. Add 1 t. oil. Add shrimp or tofu and sprouts. Sauté for 3 minutes. Add drained noodles and eggs. Add sauce. Toss to coat evenly. Cook for 4 minutes until the noodles are tender. Divide into 4 portions. Garnish with lime, cilantro, peanuts and scallions.
Noodles, fish sauce and chili paste can be found in the Asian food section of grocery stores or online.
Chopped beef, pork or chicken could be used instead of shrimp or tofu.