Six local organizations recently felt the large impact of spare change thanks to our members.
Through LaGrange County REMC’s Operation Round Up program, members can choose to round up their bill to the highest dollar each month. These pennies on the dollar are then given back to the community through grant funding, which has totaled nearly $480,000 since the program began in January 2002 and served everyone from youth to seniors to young families.
In our most recent disbursement of grants, Operation Round Up awarded $9,000 in funds to the following organizations:
- LaGrange Baseball League was awarded $1,500 to help purchase new helmets, batting tees, portable bases and more for the benefit of about 200 children who participate in the program.
- Warrior Youth Baseball received $1,500 to keep the program’s fees manageable for families of the 130 children from 5-12 years old that take part, including the purchasing of equipment and uniforms.
- Stroh Volunteer Fire Department was awarded $3,000 to assist in replacing the department’s self-contained breathing apparatuses.
- The Council for a Drug-Free LaGrange County was granted $500 to help offset the cost associated with bringing motivational speaker Tony Hoffman to LaGrange County to talk about drug recovery and addiction awareness at area schools.
- Wolcottville Youth Sports received $1,500 to keep the program affordable for the 160 children who take part and to purchase equipment, such as baseballs, softballs, helmets, tee nets and bats.
- Junior Achievement of LaGrange County was granted $1,000 to cover a portion of the 24 classes that teach financial literacy and economic concepts in grades 1-3 at area elementary schools.
We are thankful for the people in LaGrange County who are willing to serve others and are honored to be able to provide funding for the organizations that strive to make LaGrange County a better place to live.
If you are part of a civic organization that provides services to people in our community, we encourage you to apply for funding. Applications can be picked up at our office at 1995 E. U.S. 20, LaGrange, or downloaded from our website at lagrangeremc.com.