As a service to our readers and to promote electrical safety, here are some recent recall notices provided by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. Visit www.cpsc.gov/en/recalls for full details of these recalls and for notices of many more.
GE Lighting pulls LED tube lamps
GE Lighting has recalled LED Cool White Universal T8/T12 LED tube lamps. The pins on one end of the lamp can be energized during installation/removal, posing electric shock and electrocution hazards. The recall involves GE Lighting’s 31243 LED13T8U840 LED two-pack tube lamps. These units are most often used in garages, basements, workshops and utility rooms. They were sold at Lowe’s stores nationwide and online from approximately November 2017 through April 2018 for about $15.
Call 800-338-4999 from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET, Monday through Friday, or go to www.gelighting.com and click on “Product Safety Information” for more information.
Ashley Furniture recalls mislabeled floor lamps
Incorrect labeling has led to a recall of Signature Design by Ashley Amnon floor lamps with a floor switch and 12 lightbulb sockets. The incorrect label on the lamp states that consumers can use 40 watt lightbulbs in the product. However, the socket is only designed to support 25 watt lightbulbs. Use of incorrect wattage lightbulbs can melt the power switch, posing a burn hazard. The portable, electric floor lamps are metal with a bronze finish and measure about 64 inches tall. Model number L207971 is printed on a label on the underside of the lamp’s base. The lamps were sold at Ashley Furniture Home stores, independently owned and operated furniture stores nationwide and online retailers from February 2017 through April 2018 for between $160 and $300. Ashley Furniture has received seven incident reports, including six reports in the United States of the floor lamp’s power switch melting with four of those reports resulting in minor property damage. No injuries have been reported.
Call 800-477-2222, ext. 129155, or go to www.ashleyfurniture.com and click on the “Consumer Notifications” link at the bottom of the page for more information.
Video monitors pose burn hazard
Lorex has recalled three of video monitors — models LW2751, LW2752 and LW2962H — used with surveillance video systems. Batteries in the monitors can overheat, swell and expand and cause the battery cover to open or come off and expose hot batteries, posing a burn hazard to consumers. The video monitors are black and were sold in two sizes; 7-inches wide by 5-inches tall, and 9-inches wide by 6-inches tall. Lorex has received 328 reports of the monitor battery overheating and/or expanding. No injuries have been reported. The monitors were sold at Best Buy stores nationwide and online from April 2014 through March 2017. The video monitors were sold in bundles for between $150 and $330.
Call 844-265-7388 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET, Monday through Friday.